Tuesday, January 5, 2010

McINTOSH

No...not a computer..... In 1963, as a college freshman, I visited Nicolson's Audio in Nashville, where I was "blown out of my mind" by the sound of an amplifier that, even though it cost more than I could make in 3 months of work at my summer job, typing punch cards for Univac Computers, was as close to audio heaven as I could imagine......I had just upgraded from a General Electric portable "stereo" with drop down turntable and fold out speakers and thought that I was "with it".....but left Nicholsons's with a new obsession.....AUDIO! My compromise was, initially, a build-it-from-kit Dynaco system that I spent hours and hours soldering together....however, the sound of the McIntosh has always lingered.....Today, I noticed an old McIntosh that had been in active service all these years.....for sale on EBAY.....I wonder....will it outshine my modern, high-tech system, with it's 50 watts per channel amps and 40 year old circuits?

Inzaffirio by Vito Paternoster

No comments: