Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Araucaria heterophylla


Last Bonsai Project of the year.......  Now, to transplant this 'pine', that's not really a pine, but is more like a gardenia....intolerant of cold and requiring a high relative humidity.......When I worked at The Indoor Garden, in my twenties, this 'more delicate than they appear to be' trees were a popular plant for bonsai-making......Most of these, that I potted in the Japanese manner, were quickly killed off by our 'customers', who just wanted 'the look', but failed to apply the care and sensitivity to prolong the lives/health of the little 'trees'.......  I left my Job,  creating beautiful Art from delicate greenery, because I couldn't abide the insensitivity of the people who hungered for 'houses, full of beautiful plants', but treated them as though they required 'no care at all'.....     I was sent out to fashionable homes in Buckhead a couple of times a week to 'pick up' the now dead or dying plants and 'replace' them....like floral arrangements, tossed to the trash cans.....Americans are too busy driving around, texting and talking on their phones, watching the Boob Tube or socializing with other shallow humans........Plant Collections are for Hyper-Vigilant Introverts......

No comments: